Patchwork rose

Patchwork rose

Saturday, January 14, 2012

Clean and Simple, Day 1

Hi there,


Even though this post is a few days late, I've been trying to keep up with the ideas and techniques presented in the Clean & Simple on-line card class by doing some card making each day, inspired by the day's video and card ideas. Day 1 presented some sketches to use and the idea of making monochrome cards with a border created by masking the central area. This is my take:


I had planned to add the three small elements above the sentiment using matching coloured buttons, but they filled up too much of the central area because I'd used such a large sentiment....so I switched to a single button with a scrap of black ribbon on the side, instead. I was going for a super-modern style using bright colours and damask. The colours are more vibrant in real life, so I think this was a relatively successful attempt. (Thankfully the photos hide the extra tiny spots of black embossing powder smeared amongst the damask. Oops.)

But BOY OH BOY have I got a lot to learn about Clean & Simple style! I had to fight my instincts so hard with these cards...I've been working consistently for years at adding more and more to my cards while trying to keep them from looking overdone. This clean & simple stuff is turning my brain inside out as it requires the opposite! And I've also developed a whole new respect for the creators of the beautiful C&S cards I've seen on the internet. I had no idea of the skill and control and confidence it takes to make a truly beautiful, crystal clear C&S card. I'm realising that my stamping skills may not be precise enough to carry this approach off, despite many years of practise and feeling smug. :(

So, another huge learning curve...but I am definitely enjoying the challenge!

Thanks for visiting!
-Kerri

No comments:

Post a Comment