Patchwork rose

Patchwork rose

Saturday, January 21, 2012

Clean & Simple, Day...err, I've lost track!

Hi there,

Clean & Simple card camp is wrapping up on Monday & I'm frantically trying to have at least one card finished for each of the techniques/approaches we've learnt before then, so there will be two posts today, each with one finished card.


I have lost track of which day inspired me for this card - but the basis was the idea from one of the guest teachers that objects which appear high in the sky (eg. butterflies) should be placed high on a clean white space and objects which are ground-based should be low on the card front. I've had this city stamp from Hero Arts for a couple of months, keen to use it but struggling to find a purpose for it during my Christmas craft frenzy.


It was an amusing throwback to paper tole, which I dabbled in for a year or so a long time ago. The city image was stamped 5 times, then fussy cut into 4 layers to stick onto the main card, each layer leaving out some of the buildings in the immediate background of the previous layer. I was tempted to use dimensional dots for each layer but didn't want it to get too bulky, so I only used them on the bottom layer, then regular glue on the other layers. I'm not sure it's got quite the right amount of 3D effect...maybe a little more was needed.

I was going for a Sesame Street look - there's one particular cartoon I've seen a few times...or maybe it's the latest opening credits? Anyway, a cartoonish, fun city scape. I used distress inks and an aquabrush. If I was to make a similar card again I think I'd only colour a few of the buildings - it was quite striking just in black & white.

Stay tuned for another post very soon. Thanks for visiting!

-Kerri

2 comments:

  1. I love the technique you described to give dimension on this one. The pastel coloring is just perfect for the Silly Scape stamp

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great use of this stamp and I love the sentiment. I need to get mine out now.

    ReplyDelete